Whether it be through prayer, singing, or communion, worship can take many different forms. Here at Newport Center UMC, music plays a vital role in our worship experience. We strive to connect with Jesus as we perform, appreciate, and share in the music during every service.
Who Can Join the Music Ministry Team?
Our many music ministries are open to all, and allow for us to connect with each other as we work together to prepare inspirational music to be shared in worship. Our special services on Easter, Christmas, and our annual Cantatas and Classical Recitals help us reach out and connect with the larger community who often join us on these events. Giving church members opportunities to develop and use their musical gifts and talents as they grow spiritually is a special goal of the music ministry at Newport Center UMC.
Music Team Opportunities
- Worship Band:The worship band performs regularly at the 10am service, leading the congregation in contemporary songs and traditional hymns. From rousing to reverent, the worship band offers the congregation a unique worship experience within our services. Rehearsals happen monthly. If you are interested in participating, contact Sean Burns.
- Bell Choir: We are always in need of ringers for our bell choir. The bell choir offers a great musical experience for anyone who is willing to be part of a team, knows how to count, and isn’t afraid to make mistakes! You do not need to have prior experience to be a part of the choir, basic music reading skills is recommended. Bell choir is recommended for ages 10 and up. Contact Sean Burns. Practices: Wednesdays from 6:00-7:00 p.m.; Three different sessions to choose from: Fall/Christmas, Spring/Easter, and Summer.
- Children's Choir: Our children’s choir offers the children of Newport Center UMC a chance to sing, have fun, and explore musical and spiritual concepts at the same time. Children also get exposure to chime bells and other instruments. The children will perform periodically during church services. Practices are after the 2nd service each Sunday morning (11:15 a.m.) Questions? Contact Sean Burns.
- Cantata Choir: Each year, the music ministries of Newport Center UMC present a musical cantata. All members of the congregation are invited to participate (Ages 12 & up). It is not necessary to be a member of chancel choir to sing in the cantata. Those who participate commit to coming to designated rehearsals and the performance. Cantatas can be classical or contemporary, and celebrate the Christmas or Easter season, bringing joy and festivity to the church community in these special times of year. Contact Sean Burns.
- Sunday Choir: For those who love to sing, but can't commit to midweek rehearsals, Sunday choir is the perfect opportunity to participate. Sunday Choir provides the music for the 10 a.m. service during the months of January and July. Just show up on Sunday at 9 a.m. for practice prior to church. Choir is recommended for ages 12 and up. We love to see new faces! Contact Sean Burns.
- Chancel Choir: The chancel choir plays an integral role in the weekly worship at Newport Center UMC. The choir is made up of volunteers from the church congregation, with no audition necessary. We encourage and welcome new members to the chancel choir (ages 12 & up)! They sing a variety of styles, from classical to contemporary, with a common purpose of worshiping the Lord through beautiful music. Contact Sean Burns. Practices: Wednesday nights, 7:30 - 9:00 p.m. (Sept. - June); performs weekly at the 10 a.m. service and at special services during the year